One of the prestigious events of life is wedding. Wedding is a ceremony which unites two people, man and woman in a strong bond of love, care and commitment. Well, every couple has an enthusiasm of celebrating their marriage in an imperial and majestic way and Rajasthan has proved to be one of the favored places to have a grand celebration of wedding with rituals and customs of Rajasthani wedding. Wedding dress is a choosy custom as far as wedding is concern. Lehenga choli is among one of the most famous and preferable dress in traditional Rajasthani wedding. In addition, a dress reflects its prestigious culture and personality, by what its people wear and how they wear.
Rajasthani Wedding customs: The entire Rajasthani wedding have some common pre and on marriage customs.
Pre marriage Rajasthani ceremonies and customs:
- Engagement: In this wedding ceremony, bride and groom exchange rings as a part of acceptance of each other which is being followed by the blessings of all the elders and an offerable feast for relatives and friends.
- Ganpati Sthapana: The idol of Lord Ganesha, god of intelligence is being worshipped and accompanies with the shower of blessing from the almighty Lord Ganesha for a successful Rajasthani wedding.
- Pithi Dastoor: In this Rajasthani wedding, the custom of applying paste of turmeric/haldi on the hands and feet of bride and groom in their homes after which they are not allowed to leave the house until marriage is completely done.
- Mehfils: Before the day of marriage a small party or mehfil is planned in the home premise which is an important custom in Rajasthani wedding. The event is accompanied by dance and songs along with a dinner for both families.
- Janeva Ceremony: In this ceremony, on the day (morning) of the marriage day, groom is dressed in saffron robes and is supposed to perform a Havan, in which he is supposed to wear a pious thread which signifies that he will seek renunciation from the worldly affairs and step into a married life.
- Palla Dastoor: In the early morning hours of wedding day, the father and brother of groom visit bride’s house with a girt of jewelry and wedding dress for the bride.
- ?Toran: The entrance of bride home is decorated with beautiful flowers called Toran. The groom hits the Toran with a straw to ward off evil eye from his to be bride. This custom is called Toranchar.
Rajasthani Marriage customs and Ceremonies:
- Granthi Bandhan: After applying turmeric paste on girl’s hand, father of bride gives her hand in the hands of groom which signifies to hand over her responsibility to groom. This custom of Rajasthani wedding is called Kanyadan.
- Paani Grahan: In this marriage ceremony, the groom promises to take her responsibility for lifetime.
- Phera Ceremony: The couple goes round the fire for seven times which is called Phera.
- Satapadi: The bride and groom take seven steps together toward the direction of Sun God Direction which signifies to wall together in all situations in life.
- Bidai: After completing all the Rajasthani wedding customs the girl is sent along with the groom to start with the new life.