Marriage has many rituals and customs in many of the Indian weddings which are performed in different places of south India. Which are performed with samskaras which express sentiment or idea of ancient noble sentiments which details about south Indian culture? The rituals of south Indian wedding are seen in every part of the wedding location for every one by entering in to that place. The full grown plantain trees are arranged in front of the main doors, mango leaves and screw pine petals are tied for the festoons which are believed that should not fade. And sounds of nadaswaram, rangoli at the door steps these are the some of the rituals which should be performed before starting wedding processes.
Rituals performed before wedding ceremony
- Before wedding ceremony both bride and bride groom should take part in the mangalasnanam or sacred bath in their respective homes which is performed to follow the sacred rituals
- Pellikuturu or pellikoduku (making the bride and the groom ready for wedding), here both bride and groom are helped by their parents or relatives to get ready for their wedding which is followed by shower of blessings from their relatives and friends.
- Bride groom is brought to the wedding mandap by flower adorned ride, here bride and the bride’s parents welcome bride groom to mandap along with the nadaswaram bands
- Ganapathi puja is done to remove all the evils and obstacles, this puja is worshiped before wedding ceremony in the presence of all the family member’s
- Worshipping for the pipal tree with the milk b, which are mainly performed by the 5 married women or bride who is going to get married for long life of their husband
- Navagraha puja is performed to remove all the evils by nine planets
Customs performed in wedding ceremony
- By presenting the dhoti for groom and saree for bride, a puja is followed by bride and groom separately it is called vratam. In this puja the bride is meant to be tied the holy thread on her wrist which removes all the evils and groom takes a promise of being as grahista or householder the acceptance of all these rituals is vratam
- Followed by kaashi yatra which is an important segment in the south Indian wedding which makes the both families closer. In this ritual groom pretends to leave for kaashi by carrying umbrella, Varanasi slippers and bamboo fan but bride’s father or brother tries to stop you to give her daughter and make her daughter to marry with you. Followed by nadaswaram groom is taken to mandap for marriage
- Exchange of garlands is done by both bride and the groom for each other
Main marriage customs
These are the main wedding customs which are mainly followed by bride and groom and their parents like
- Varapuja and Kanyadhanam is done by bride’s father, in this process bride’s father washes the legs of the groom with milk and wiped out with cloth and he gives his daughter to groom and groom assures bride father that he will be her companion for lifetime.
- Kanakadaranam, bride ties a thread along with piece of turmeric to the wrist of the groom to bind themselves by religious rituals
- Maangalyadaranam, groom ties mangalsutra to bride’s neck which makes a belief that bride is going to be his responsibility for his rest of the life which includes love, commitment and happiness, which is followed by nadaswaram and drums music.
- Paanigrahanam, holding hands with each other which bind the marriage relationship, sapthapadi is walking seven steps with each other, followed by pradhana homam, showering the rice, showing arundathi star, mangalaharathi and ends with gruhapravesam of both bride and groom at groom’s house.