There is no secret formula for a long happy marriage. The married persons need to work on their marriage constantly as it is an on-going process. There are certain points which can be taken into consideration as follows:
- Respect for Each Other: This is the basis for a long lasting relationship. Respect for your spouse permits you to take your partner as he or she is, not attempting to alter the person.
- Effective Conflict Solutions: There is bound to be conflict in every relationship due to individuality. The mature couples tackle these with understanding and respect. In the process, their bond may even become stronger.
- Being Humorous: Humour is a good stress reliever. It can be used for help in times of strain. Further, couple with an attitude of humour will let go of issues instead of holding on to the differences.
- Supporting One Another: As the relationships nurture, people are likely to change. This evolution is supported by a mature couple which encourages strength of each other in a happy marriage.
- Love, Friendship and Commitment: The love is a conscious decision for being committed with another individual. A couple must feel that they are capable of supporting each other. The decision for commitment is everlasting, even during the upheavals of relationship. A bond of friendship can be shared by a simple thing like gossip which can connect.
- Faithfulness in Sexual Aspect of Marriage: Faithfulness in married sex goes beyond the two bodies. Even fantasizing about another individual could amount to sexual unfaithfulness to the spouse. The sexuality needs to be guarded daily and devoted to one’s spouse in totality. It needs self-discipline and keeping focus on consequences of unfaithfulness.
- Practicing Humility: Everybody has weaknesses and taking time to accept flaws in their spouses will nurture happy marriage. Practicing the virtue of humility will go a long way as admitting flaws is the first step towards rectifying same.
- Forgiving and Being Patient: As every individual has faults, being patient and forgiving spouse will be needed in the marriage relationship. Further, not expecting perfection on the part of spouse is the key element.
- Element of Time: The investing of time in relationship is required for its growth. Every happy marriage needs spending quality time in companionship together.
- Trustworthiness and Being Honest: For a married person, trustworthiness and being honest are the keystones of a healthy marriage. While being honest can be somewhat easy to practice, trust needs time and hard work to build up in a marriage.
- Being Communicative: A mature married couple communicates as frequently as required. They talk on issues related to children, shopping, bills and even their anxieties. They discuss transformations in their on-going lives.
- Practicing the Selflessness: There are several marriages which break up on account of selfishness of the spouses. The selfishness may be due to commitment, financial issues or infidelity which may lead to divorce. Hence, practicing the selflessness will bond the married persons strongly in the relationship.
These are a few simple aspects to treat the marriages with due importance and nurture it for decades to come.