Name Changing Ceremony after Marriage And Mistakes Pertaining It 

Name Changing Ceremony after Marriage And Mistakes Pertaining It

After all the wedding stress and hustle comes the huge task of name changing. While some women choose to keep their maiden name, others change their complete or last name. Some women might also want to change the way their name is spelled. Whatever the purpose may be, the name changing task does involve quite a lot of steps. Here are some name change tips that’ll help you avoid the pitfalls and mistakes. 

Best time to do it

It’s advised to wait until your honeymoon gets over to change your name. This is so because it takes time for the marriage license to be recorded with the country recorder. There’s a lot of paperwork involved before your new name is officially registered. Modification of the passport, license and other documents essential f travel identification takes time. Moreover, changing your name on an aeroplane ticket also involves extra charges and if the information on your several documents fails to match, you might even be detained. 

Legal name change

Many people tend to make an error by assuming that altering the records is the same as legally changing your name. This is a wrong assumption because for legally changing your name, you have to notify the corresponding government agencies. You may also need to file an appeal or a petition in some states. For this purpose, you need to produce your birth certificate and marriage certificate. A fee is also charged for the same. When convinced with your request, the court issues an order to authorize your new name. It is advisable to consult a proficient lawyer.

Modification of the records

After changing your name you need to modify your important documents such as passport, driver’s license, social security card, etc. You also need to check other documents such as business card, credit card, smart card, etc. Here is a list of the important organisations that you need to notify about your name change by filling a form-

  • Department of Motor Vehicles
  • Post office
  • Social Security Administration
  • Employers
  • Banks and financial institutions
  • Insurance agencies
  • Department of record or Vital Statistics
  • Passport office
  • Telephone and utility companies
  • Voter Registration
  • Creditors and debtors
  • Veterans Administration
  • State Taxing Authority
For notifying your friends and family, you can post an ad about your name change in local newspaper. In many countries, posting an ad in the newspaper about the name change is mandatory. You can also send thank you cards or e-cards with your new name printed on it to your relatives and friends. Don’t forget to update your new name on the social networking sites. With the whole world going digital, it is the easiest, quickest and the cheapest way to inform people about your name change.

Name change kit

If you want to save the time and effort involved in changing your name officially, you can also buy a name change kit. For this you have to pay a small fee in return for the convenience of getting the necessary documents readily by mail. Name change kits also have a lot of useful information regarding the agencies or place you will have to contact. 


Copyright © 2017 Wedding Doers. All Rights Reserved