Planning a wedding requires astute planning of the finances. There are numerous wedding expenses which form a part of a wedding. Generally, all the costs that accrue at a wedding are shared by both the parents of the bride and the groom and any extra costs, which may go beyond the budget of the parents, are then borne by the couples themselves. However, this is how the wedding bill would be broken down traditionally, but in the current times, since the bride and the groom have both become independent, therefore, in many cases you would find that the roles, with respect to money to have been reversed and the bride and the groom bearing all the expenses, while the parents supporting the couple only in case the expenses go beyond the planned budget of the couple.
However, for the sake of better understanding, if you consider the traditional system of splitting the wedding bill, the expenses which fell into the lap of each of the parties hosting the wedding were as follows:
Expenses Which Are Traditionally Borne By The Parents Of The Bride
- The cost of getting the wedding invitations printed and postage of the same was the responsibility of the bride’s parents. In fact, any other expense which was related to paper products was also the responsibility of the bride’s parents only.
- The parents of the bride were expected to pay for the wedding dress and all the other accessories that the bride might need for her wedding day.
- The main wedding event was also supposed to be planned and hosted by the parents of the bride only. Therefore, the cost of the venue, decoration expense, caterer’s bill at the wedding and all other expenses relating to the wedding ceremony was paid by them only.
- Along with the wedding ceremony, the reception party was also the responsibility of these parents only.
- Taking care of the bridesmaid dresses, their transportation and luncheon.
- Hiring of the wedding photographer and transportation of the bridal party.
Expenses Which Are Traditionally Borne By The Parents Of The Groom
- All the expenses which are associated with organizing the rehearsal dinner are to be borne by the parents of the groom.
- Arranging for the officiant and paying his fee is also the responsibility of the parents of the groom.
- Entertainment at the wedding like bar and music are generally organized by the groom’s parents, although sometimes, even these expenses would be taken care of by the parents of the bride only.
- Taking care of the groomsmen.
- Transportation of the marriage party to the wedding venue.
- All expenses relating to the applying and procurement of the marriage license.
- Boutonnieres for all the wedding guests are also supposed to be arranged for by the parents of the groom.
Expenses Which The Bride And The Groom Take Care Of
All personal expenses like the wedding ring, engagement ring, gifts for each other, honeymoon expenses, and other similar expenses are supposed to be borne by the couple themselves. Besides this, they can even help out their parents, in case there is a shortage of funds.