In fast running time of modern days, a person is left with very little time and expertise for managing various events like wedding, reunion, birthday parties, anniversary, conferences, meetings etc. In these circumstances, he looks for the professionals who provide these facilities for them. The professionals providing these sorts of services are known as event planners and the process or service is called event planning.
1. If you wish to start an event planning service, you are required to perform the following tasks in order to make an event successful:
(i) Conduct research
(ii )Create an event design
(iii) Find a site for the event
(iv) Make arrangements food, decoration and entertainment
(v) Plan for transportation of men and materials
(vi) Arrangement of accommodations
(vii) Coordination with client
(viii) Supervision of the site
(ix) Evaluation of the event
Need of Formal Education
2. To be a successful event planner, it may be beneficial to get a degree or certificate in event planning from an institution of repute. The courses are like certificate programmes, associate degree programmes and even master degree programmes. These are offered in-campus as well as off-campus and online.
3. The money involved in starting an event planning business depends on the cost of living of people where you wish to offer your services. The next thing is the location of your office and type of event planning service you wish to provide. If you run your service from home, you will need less money in comparison to that of running from a rented office.
4. When you fix pricing for an even planning, it is suggested that you add your labour and material costs also in order to cover up overhead expenses and earn a profit. There are other costs such as good will costs that also need to be considered.
5. You need to promote and advertise your event planning business extensively. You may use printed media such as yellow pages, national as well as local dailies, online medium etc. Never forget to mention your contact number and address on any advertisement. If you can afford, you may get a website made for your business.
6. It is also suggested that you go for networking with hotels, caterers and other likewise people whose services you may utilise in due course of your even planning business. Believe it or not, networking and word-of-mouth are very useful in maintaining relationships and retaining clients. If you are a wedding planner, then you have to keep in the loop people or agencies providing matrimony services too.
7. You may use event planning software which may be free, cheap or highly advanced (depending on your requirement) for planning various kinds of events. This will reduce the task of preparing manual check list. Your happiness in your work as well meeting commitments will increase.
8. The latest media tools today you need are laptop with active internet connection and smart phone with advanced and latest gadgets. Above all, your event management skills matter a lot. It keeps your client intact and adding of new clients.
9. It generally happens that clients prefer to meet you at their offices for meeting and discussion. They may also visit your place. You may invite them to meet in a coffee shop, hotel etc. (nearby to present work or event).